Category Archives: Test results & Data analysis

Status updates & ongoing performance trials

Another look at logger battery discharge curves…

I’ve written before about how the main battery discharge record is one of my primary tools to determine what happened when a logger fails, but I thought I would try another kick at that can; delving into some of the things that show up on units that are apparently … Continue reading

Posted in Test results & Data analysis, The quest for low power | Leave a comment

How the drag enhancer affected flow meter response

In March we did an experiment by adding small flags to some of our flow sensors to enhance their response in low flow situations. As with so many of the things we have tried on this project, these thin sheets of ABS were the … Continue reading

Posted in Developing a Flow Sensor, Test results & Data analysis | Leave a comment

Testing Power Use with Complex Datalogger Duty Cycles

There is an old saying that goes: “Yesterdays solutions are today’s problems” and I think that now describes this project. You see the first year of development was focused on pretty straightforward hardware issues, and solving each one produced significant gains in … Continue reading

Posted in Lessons learned., Test results & Data analysis, The quest for low power | 2 Comments

High (SD card) sleep current problem solved!

The more I thought about it, the more the high power drain of the flow sensors got under my skin. How had I misjudged the performance that badly, after so many successful bench top tests? I was determined to get to the … Continue reading

Posted in Test results & Data analysis, The quest for low power | Leave a comment

Bench Testing vs. Real world power consumption of our Arduino dataloggers

I finally have a moment to look at the data from the recently retrieved flow meters, and the results are not what I was expecting. This was a five month deployment, with the units operating from March 22, 2014 to August 25, 2014. The three pendulum units … Continue reading

Posted in Test results & Data analysis, The quest for low power | 2 Comments

More Duracell battery failures this week

I have been doing run tests on the newest flow sensor builds, and this morning I had a little red error-state led waiting for me on a sensor that I had assembled the night before. I assumed I had botched a solder joint, or … Continue reading

Posted in Test results & Data analysis | 3 Comments

Project Update: June 19, 2014

As I ramp up production for the next round of deployments, I am happy to report that the new crop of logging platforms have all passed bench testing (set RTC, r/w EEprom, r/w SD card, I2C bus coms, etc).  As I have mentioned before, lifting … Continue reading

Posted in Test results & Data analysis | Leave a comment