Category Archives: How this project started…

The story of how this project developed. This wordpress generated list is in reverse chronological order, so scroll down to the bottom, and click on the post titled “In the beginning…Part 1”

Interview: Cave Pearl Project Team: 2015-09-20

Now that we have recovered from the last round of fieldwork, I finally managed to blow the dust off an old Macintosh in the basement and produce a little promo for the project: Still needs some polish, but not bad … Continue reading

Posted in Expedition Reports & Updates, How this project started... | Leave a comment

Field Report 2014-08-25: Retrieve & Deploy New Flow Sensors

We started the day with breakfast at Turtle Bay Cafe, and once I had enough caffeine in my bloodstream to engage more than two brain cells at the same time, I reviewed the data on the SD cards from the overnight test runs. They … Continue reading

Posted in Developing a Flow Sensor, DIY Underwater Housing, Expedition Reports & Updates, How this project started... | Leave a comment

Field Report 2014-03-22: The next generation of flow sensors is deployed.

After the successful retrieval, I set to work on scripts for the next generation of sensors. It’s amazing how the kind of focus that coding requires can really mess with your perception of time, leaving you feeling that everything is being done … Continue reading

Posted in Developing a Flow Sensor, Expedition Reports & Updates, How this project started... | Tagged | Leave a comment

Field Report 2014-03-19: The Cave Pearls have landed!

All the usual grumbles of getting our kit out of storage and ready to roll delayed the Beta unit retrieval till late afternoon, and I was really chomping on the bit by that point. It was a good haul against … Continue reading

Posted in Developing a Flow Sensor, Expedition Reports & Updates, How this project started... | Leave a comment

The new fleet is ready to sail!

Hi everyone. I wrote most of this entry on a plane today, as it was almost the first free time I’ve had “away from the workbench” since the initial proof of concept loggers were deployed last year. I have redesigned … Continue reading

Posted in Developing a Drip Sensor, DIY Underwater Housing, How this project started... | 7 Comments

Field Report 2013-12-16: The first long term deployment begins

This was our last day in Mexico, so the flow meters were going in for their first long term installation today.  The over night run trials went smoothly so the last minute rebuild of logger 2 fixed the excessive power … Continue reading

Posted in Developing a Flow Sensor, Expedition Reports & Updates, How this project started... | Leave a comment

Field Report 2013-12-06: The moment of truth…

A couple of days into the UNAM research, there was break in the schedule, so we had the opportunity to go back and retrieve the units. When we arrived at the installation site, everything looked exactly as we had left … Continue reading

Posted in Developing a Flow Sensor, DIY Underwater Housing, Expedition Reports & Updates, How this project started... | Leave a comment