Category Archives: DIY Underwater Housing

This unit must safely go to 30 meters depth, stay there for a year, and be made from cheap parts that I can obtain anywhere.
(Note: this list is in reverse chronological order)

A new DIY Underwater Housing for 2015

I spent a great deal of time cutting, sanding and gluing my underwater housings last year. And I learned a heck of allot about adhesives, O-rings, hull penetrations, and potting circuits.   But mostly I learned that I like soldering more than I … Continue reading

Posted in DIY Underwater Housing | 9 Comments

A Simple DIY Underwater Connector System

Up to this point, the Cave Pearls have been self-contained units. But this means that the sensors must be mounted directly on the housings, and the batteries must fit inside.  I already have ideas for new sensors that would require me to overcome these … Continue reading

Posted in Developing a Temp.Chain, DIY Underwater Housing | 12 Comments

Field Report 2014-08-26: Old Flow Sensor Inspection

The drip sensor deployments left me with an couple of hours free time that evening, which gave me a chance to take a closer look at the flow sensors we pulled the day before. The most obvious impact of the near marine exposure was … Continue reading

Posted in Developing a Flow Sensor, DIY Underwater Housing, Expedition Reports & Updates | Leave a comment

Field Report 2014-08-25: Retrieve & Deploy New Flow Sensors

We started the day with breakfast at Turtle Bay Cafe, and once I had enough caffeine in my bloodstream to engage more than two brain cells at the same time, I reviewed the data on the SD cards from the overnight test runs. They … Continue reading

Posted in Developing a Flow Sensor, DIY Underwater Housing, Expedition Reports & Updates, How this project started... | Leave a comment

Building your sensors & underwater housings from scratch

I reviewed my build journal recently, and found enough themes in there for another bit of bloggy catharsis.  No one should mistake this as the advice of an expert in anything, as I have a long way to go before I start collecting karma points at the playground. … Continue reading

Posted in DIY Underwater Housing, Lessons learned. | Leave a comment

The new fleet is ready to sail!

Hi everyone. I wrote most of this entry on a plane today, as it was almost the first free time I’ve had “away from the workbench” since the initial proof of concept loggers were deployed last year. I have redesigned … Continue reading

Posted in Developing a Drip Sensor, DIY Underwater Housing, How this project started... | 7 Comments

Field Report 2013-12-06: The moment of truth…

A couple of days into the UNAM research, there was break in the schedule, so we had the opportunity to go back and retrieve the units. When we arrived at the installation site, everything looked exactly as we had left … Continue reading

Posted in Developing a Flow Sensor, DIY Underwater Housing, Expedition Reports & Updates, How this project started... | Leave a comment